our lives as

My photo
We are a family of Vagabonds bound to this land, a band of explorers in our native culture. The road is our ocean, the ocean our border, as we sail along in our little blue boat. We look for, and find everywhere, the America where nature is the guiding ethic, where people work to envision a better world, and where community and respect for life comes first. As we cruise around from state to state we will do our best to share our stories and observations with old and new friends alike. If you care to, we invite you to join us as we live life in motion.

Friday, January 2

Outerbanks, NC


We left the Jersey Shores from the very southern tip and made our way south through what is called the Delmarva peninsula (a long thin stretch that is a little bit of Delaware, a little bit of Maryland, and a touch of Virginia....political boundaries are so weird...). We crossed the Chesapeake bay bridge-tunnel, an interwoven up and down blend of underwater tunnels and overwater bridges that spans the 20 mile stretch of Chesapeake Bay meets Atlantic Ocean. We landed on the tip of Viriginia and cut through Virginia Beach as fast as we could, a scary, slightly nauseating mix of private beach houses, cheesy tourist traps, and military bases. Not really our scene...
Then we reached North Carolina... When you are on the coast of NC, the outerbanks starts pretty much at the Northern state line and follows the coastline down. It is a series of islands linked by bridges and ferries that is known as the graveyard of the Atlantic because of its treacherous sand banks and everchanging shoreline. At the northern point you can just drive across a short bridge to get on the islands, at the southern point its an hour and a half ferry to reach the mainland, and at that point you are almost to SC.
We love these island and spent 4 or 5 days playing on the sand dunes (ahh,Oregon we miss you!), hiking through beach grass, learning the maritime history of lighthouses and sunken ships, and talking to the kind and friendly locals (Thanks to Buffy for letting us use your house for warmth and showers, it was like our prayers had been answered!). We came at the right time of year, it was quiet and beautiful (although cold and gray). From what we heard summers are a mad house of beach parties and kite surfing.
We left the Outerbanks a little regretfully, it had been so peaceful and beautiful, and the first little town we entered in South Carolina, we stopped for coffee at a little country store. A older man stood on the porch welcoming passerbys in, and he squinted a little at our gypsy bus and salty wind blown faces.
"Y'all just come off the ferry?" he asked.
We nodded and Daniel introduced himself.
The man's face softened, "ahh, Daniel, now thats a good biblical name," he said "come on in and get warm".

1 comment:

  1. To whom it may concern,
    My name is Maggie and I have been truly blessed with giving birth to 5 wonderful children. The youngest is Michele age 3, Eric 19, Paulie 20, Tiffany 22, and Daniel 26. All of them are so different and yet so much alike. My son Daniel is on a journey. He is traveling with his beautiful companion, Leah and my Grand-dog, Ziggy. (a curious & very lucky Black Lab). When I tell people that my son is traveling in their 1970?? VW Bus, around the Country, living and working (organic farms and many other things) some people seem to be perplexed. Others are envious. I think it is wonderful that they have the opportunity and the will power to do something like this. They travel, work, live, fix the bus, and travel some more. They meet lots of people every where they go. Friendly, caring, helpful people. As a mom I still worry and think about them ALL the time. Now, you may wonder where Daniel gets his "exploring" gene from. Nope, not me. His Dad, Dan. I remember the first time he came home from work on a Friday and said to me, "lets go to Connecticut". (we lived in Middletown, NJ) I looked at him and said, "now???", Ya! So we packed up and went to Mystic Conn. No hotel in mind, just a map and off we went. I got used to that way of last minute trips. As the family grew, we still traveled everywhere,it just took longer. Most of the time we would camp. I have to admit, I did enjoy the hotels. We vacationed all along the East Coast, visiting every state along the way. We went cross Country twice and Many parts of Canada. I think we seen almost every state in the USA. Every place was special in its own way.
    We met very nice, friendly people that I am sure we all remember to this day. So there is no wonder why Daniel would want to do something like this. I know WE ALL have mixed feelings about what Daniel has chosen to do in this chapter of his life, but it is his life, His dream, their dream. Daniel is a Beautiful person. He has a kind, generous, loving, beautiful soul. There are so many wonderful qualities about him. I was 16 years old when Daniel was born, and thankful for a healthy son. As a child Daniel, (AKA, Little Danny, AKA, Danny and when he was cranky, "Sunshine")He was Daddy's little helper and My baby boy. He loved playing outside and his imagination would always show through. Daniel grew up to be a son that I am VERY PROUD of. Daniel, you are my first born, My baby boy, my Vagabond. Where ever you are, I'll ALWAYS be here for you. I'm just a phone call away.
    I Love You With All My Heart and Soul. Mommy XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete